Sunday, March 4, 2007

Let's not call it God....

I don't want our relative perspectives of these things to become contentious, and I'm afraid I'm guilty of contention, especially in how I have dismissed Dawkins, with whom Ed really identifies currently. Heck, I really appreciate Chopra's ideas, yet his critics call him out for being either too simple-minded about quantum mechanics or of conflicted interests in his propositions.

So to each of us, we gain ground by way of our discoveries, and in that context Dawkins' are as valid as Chopra's along that path. So I apologize for the criticisms.

About this personal God issue, let's not call it God. I don't want to dismiss the notion that it attempts to represent, but that word or name is so loaded with its historical context that it may be difficult to forgive its culpability in producing so many injustices...in its name. So what can we call this essence that exists in the more immeasurable realms?

It's been called Spirituality - but that has been saddled with inappropriate God context too. It's been called the Collective Unconscious, by Carl Jung - who also cautioned that modern humans rely too heavily on science and logic and would benefit from integrating spirituality and appreciation of the unconscious realm. I thought he might have called it the Collective Soul, but apparently he never did...and although that term was almost used by Ayn Rand in Fountainhead, not in the same context.

In my estimation, the Collective Soul potentially exists as a source or repository of all of this spiritual acknowledgment. In the spirit of Namaste', http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namaste which is said to suggest that essentially we are all one spirit, each body merely houses a chunk of that spirit through each body's physical life time, then upon physical expiration, the personal spirit is reposited to its collective source each with its evolution regained by the whole. That's kind of my own summary of Collective Soul.

But, check this out. This is a philosophy of Soul produced by Timothy Leary, whom I've appreciated for his groundbreaking discoveries in accessing hyper realities. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/8-Circuit_Model_of_Consciousness

Any commentary on this stuff?

1 comment:

SkooB said...

...following that last link, it's prompting me to find and read the book Prometheus Rising...but just following links in the process, I bumped into this interesting diary of an experiment. Check it out.

http://www.biroz.net/otherpages/penny/index.htm

I'm gonna go get that book now.